Securing Arcdroid Base

Bob DeWachter

14d

I can see myself working various areas of a large sheet of steel. Has anyone considered using electromagnets to secure the base of the Arcdroid? Basically set it up so it can be used like a mag drill. Seems like a workable idea. 12dc continous use door securing magnets come in various sizes and are pretty cheap on Amazon. Any thoughts??

0 likes Like Reply

VIEWS

Reply Edit Delete

Tom Gudaitis

13d

My concern would be interference using an electromagnet.

0 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jim Leisring

13d

Yeah, too strong a magnet that close to the plasma arc I think. heck… I have read about problems from people using a magnetic ground clamp when plasma cutting.

Love the idea of sticking it to a large sheet wherever it is needed. Could be interesting to try it out.

0 likes Like Reply

Bob DeWachter

13d

I don’t think the magnetic field would be that strong. It is well directed into the operating surface. 12vdc 100ma. Can’t be that huge of a radiating field. The plasma arc really can’t get very close to the magnets. They don’t have to be mounted right at the front base edge. Using permanent mag welding clamps TIG welding you have to be right next to them to see the arc affected. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a shot. They are pretty cheap, thinking of using three.

0 likes Like Reply

Littleboss DWH

13d

Just glue 4 rare earth magnets to the base. Shouldn’t be any need for electromagnets. If it moves with 4 then add 2 more

0 likes Like Reply

Bob DeWachter

13d

The problem with that Littleboss is it is too hard to move about and lift off and the magnets are constantly attracting stuff. I first looked at mechanical mag bases but they aren’t very low profile. Plenty of electromagnets under an inch high. Low current, 12vdc won’t require much of a power supply.