Magnetic Base for Arcdroid

I brought this up in the old forum. Thought I would share what I did. Drilled four holes in the base of the Droid inboard of the original holes. This allowed either mounting method to be used. Wiring is kept in place and protected with aluminum tape. The electromagnets are 35lb pull each on 12vdc and 1/2amp each. A 4amp 12vdc supply runs the four magnets wired in parallel, Small box for the on/off switch, fuse holder and indicator lamp.
Magnets raise the base .90”. On 1/8” plate it is solid when turned on.
I think this will add much versatility in operational ability.

7 Likes

Very Nice!
Hummmm Clank! :laughing:

If you used 3 magnets ina triangle instead of 4 you could easily use this for quick adjustments for leveling if your not cutting on a perfectly flat surface parallel with the material.

I had indeed considered only three magnets to take advantage of tripod stability. I went with four for the larger footprint and extra holding power. With the four mag pads in place I sat the Arcdroid on a leveled granite surface place. And began taking measurements of how true the arm axis was. I ended up with a few shims captured on the backside of the pucks to dial parallelism in very close.
Haven’t put the setup to work yet but it looks really promising.

1 Like

Dude thats awesome :ok_hand:

Ran the droid today utilizing the electromagnets to secure the machine to a piece of 1/2” steel plate. Worked like a champ. Rock solid, I’m not strong enough to move it. Had absolutely no affect on the plasma envelope. I did wire one pair of magnets opposite polarity to the other diagonally figuring that might negate the field in the work piece. Dunno if that is the case but figured it couldn’t hurt.

1 Like