Small Light Sign Cuts

5mo

I did a quick design experiment cutting letters a different way and made a small light sign which I never completely finished out. The droid had some issues, my test cut looked perfect but somewhere on this cut it lost calibration again. Cut quality wasn’t great and things started to cut askew. After some frustration, troubleshooting and work the droid is up and working again, I’ll likely take another shot at this one once I modify the design a little. But some longer cut shots I thought some of you might enjoy. Sign looks good from 20ft away :grin:

1 likes Like Reply

VIEWS

Reply Edit Delete

GLENN WOODWORTH

5mo

Great job! What software did you use to create the TEXT?

-Glenn W.
Plymouth, MA USA

0 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

5mo

@GLENN WOODWORTH This was all Fusion 360. Sometimes, depending on desired effect, I’ll use Inkscape and export an SVG and finish it out in fusion.

0 likes Like Reply

ANDREW Miller Staff member

5mo

@Jason Burns You can reduce some of the resonance wibbles on the curved lettering by employing the smoothing function in Fusion and by reducing the acceleration factor a bit in machine settings. Somewhat counter intuitively resonance can be reduced with lower acceleration and higher feed rate.

The machine will not “lose calibration” if everything is good mechanically the only problems we have had with things cutting less straight at the end of session than the beginning has been the pulley issues (large and small). Several running changes have been made as well as revised Torque specifications for the production line so shouldn’t be an issue going forward.

If you are having troubles with seems like “losing calibration” give us a call and we’ll walk you through some trouble shooting. Usually an easy fix.

Cheers

AM

Andrew Miller
C.I.O. 2 AM Innovations Ltd.

1 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

5mo

@ANDREW Miller Thanks for that Andrew. That video was made before I was able to sort out where exactly the problem was and repeated attempts to redo calibration had failed. All good now though.

Just so people understand, the overarching theme of these videos are to document the process of getting a new machine and learning how it works and troubleshooting issues. It’s the reality of any new product and especially with any CNC process that I’ve ever worked with. (Not that I have a lot of expereince but I do have some) And hopefully showcasing some of the things the average user might run into and some ideas for what you can do with the machine. I’d also like to clarify that in no way was I slamming the Arcdroid, I realize all the “problems” I’ve had are a combination of 1st run production issues along with user error on my part. But that’s eactly why I want to document it. And the ArcDroid folks have been great at helping me sort stuff out and are clearly making improvments based on customer feedback.

1 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

5mo

Just to update, putting flat spots on the stepper motor shafts has made a world of difference. With that issue solved I moved on to cut quality.
The cut quality issues were actaully a problem with the cap and/or consumables on that torch. I swapped them all out and bingo! Also taking Andrews suggestion, I left the accelleration at 300 but set the jerk down to 4. Cut some gussets out of 3/8" mild steel and some out of 1/4". I cut a bunch of octagons in the 1/4" ones and they came out as octagons. Photos are the 3/8" with no cleanup.