Torch height control

Anthony Castrovinci

1mo

Can you tell us more about the THC function and how is works with the arcdroid? Specifically the following questions:

Will it work with any plasma cutter or does it need to have some kind of wiring for that feature? Is this a software only thing or wiring is needed? I was thinking of upgrading to a hyperterm 45. Will it work for such?

Is it still a beta thing or is it pretty tested by now?

How much does the THC compensate? A lot of times the location I use this in just really isn’t level and even with shimming it can be off pretty bad. Right now I just set the cut farther away but that is not ideal and kills the consumables.

1 likes Like Reply

VIEWS

Reply Edit Delete

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

1mo

@Anthony Castrovinci I’ve had the beta test version for over a month and finally got it to work this past week. Problem was the divided voltage coming from my Everlast cnc port was bad. I made my own divided voltage breakout board now, works great!

It should work with any plasma cutter that willl work with the ArcDroid as long as you can get 50:1 divided arc voltage. THC can compensate by as much travel as is avilable in your Z axis. The THC in this instance, measureses voltage (after a delay to allow the arc to stabilize) and tries to maintain that voltage for the rest of the cut.

1 likes Like Reply

Littleboss DWH

1mo

@Jason Burns Couple questions about the THC.

Is it really needed for the small pieces that we can cut on the machine (less than 25"). Is it just for really thin metal or large pieces with lots of cuts?

Finally what do you think about the everlast plasma?

Do the tips last a long time? and are they inexpensive compared to lets say Thermal Dynamics, or Hypertherm

Thanks

0 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

1mo

@Littleboss DWH Go look up THC on youtube, jim colt has a bunch of videos explaining the benefits.

As a plasma machine, I really like the Everlast. Price vs what you are getting, it’s a solid value. That being said, the CNC port and internal board they use seems to be a problem for a lot of poeople. Seems to be luck of the draw if the divided voltage or raw voltage works off of it.
Current models use the IPT60 or IPT80 torches which are the Innotec version of the Tecmo pt60 pt80 etc. Their consumables seem to last well. Actual Tecmo consumables are expensive, probably up there with Hypertherm or more but I hear they last a long time. I’ve been getting stuff from PlasmaDyn, their tips and “made it italy” techmo nozzles seem to last really well.

0 likes Like Reply

Patrick Notton

1mo

@Littleboss DWH

Is it really needed for the small pieces that we can cut on the machine (less than 25"). Is it just for really thin metal or large pieces with lots of cuts?

THC isn’t needed for most applications with the work envelope of the Arcdroid. However, the main benefit of THC is that it allows the machine to account for improper alignment of the plate to the SCARA arm. So if the base is getting scraggly and the plate you’re cutting isn’t sitting perfectly parallel to the arm, THC allows the machine to follow the plate at the proper height. Also if your plate is not very flat (this is usually less of an issue with the size we’re working with here) it’ll handle that too.

0 likes Like Reply

Anthony Castrovinci

1mo

@Jason Burns thanks for the reply. Curious to see your setup with this? Also I assume it gets wired to the same block where the torch fire control connects to?

0 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

1mo

@Anthony Castrovinci THC Uses AUX 2. I’ll have a bit of an update video out on my Amp Mechanic youtube and rumble channel soon, an overview of my setup and getting THC to work. THC is still in beta but I think I have something figured out that works.

0 likes Like Reply

PlasmaDyn Engineering

9d

@Jason Burns

@Jason Burns - Hi Jason, just saw a vid of the Arcdroid - holy cow, what a great idea - I do tend to agree with the idea of a THC for optimum cutting - even for a small part. Keeping the cut at the optimal plasma focal length is easily achieveable if you know the acr voltage (and air pressure). I’d assume someone is already at work hacking a THC into this crazy machine - if thats YOU please keep me in the loop!!

0 likes Like Reply

Debug Advice

Jason Burns

9d

@PlasmaDyn Engineering I’m currently filiming the THC part 2, I’ll have all the info for the final solution. Both my solution and what will be implenmented from the company. Not that I can speak for them, but passing on what I can from my exchanges with Andrew.

PS. If you are from the PlasmaDyn that makes consumables, I’ve been using your nozzles and electrodes for PT60 and PT80. They’ve been working well. :+1: