Tracing Mistakes

Bob DeWachter

9d

I’ve run into issues tracing a template. Holding the stylus button and tracing the template you have a oops moment and stray from the template. Using the undo, I delete back to a known good spot. Bring stylus back to the template and start tracing again at this point. During dry run wonky things are happening at these corrections. I can’t seem to get a clean correction of a tracing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

0 likes Like

VIEWS

Debug Advice

Jim Leisring

8d

Does the trace show as closed so there are no open paths?

0 likes Like

Bob DeWachter

8d

Yes, the path was closed. It seemed like the “undo” cleared the erratic path on the screen and I retraced that portion again. In dry run it appears to have both the wrong and corrected paths executed. I guess I don’t really get the proper way to make a correction to a traced path made when holding the stylus button so the end result is smooth.

0 likes Like

Debug Advice

Jim Leisring

7d

Your description sounds like you are holding the button down while completing the trace?

If so, it is not the way to do it. Imagine you want to trace a triangle - you need make only three points clicking the button once at each point and it will connect them with a straight line.

If tracing a curve, you make a bunch of short interval clicks.

0 likes Like

Bob DeWachter

7d

I get the straight line end point clicks, that works well. I was tracing the entirety of a French Curve and holding the button because there are no straight lines. I did one trace as you suggest but it was pretty notchy. I’ll try keeping the segments shorter. Maybe a combo of the two methods… it was mostly where the curves got tight and reversed that I had problems maintaining the trace against the template. There are a few things I’ll try in the next few days.

0 likes Like

Littleboss DWH

6d

@Jim Leisring Not true. You can hold the button down as you follow the line or you can make a bunch of clicks along a line. As far as I know there isn’t any kind of “smoothing” in the software that will make a curve or any other line look straighter whether you use a bunch of clicks or just hold it down and drag it.

If you are making a part with straight sides then just clicking at each end will be the most accurate but if it’s curved then not sure which is the best

0 likes Like

Debug Advice

Jim Leisring

6d

Ok… I’ll give it a try.

But… the notchiness in the stepper motors seems like this could cause some problems too. Also, I know too many points can cause some issues as well.

0 likes Like

Bob DeWachter

4d

Well, I think I have this figured out. First, there really is no comparison of the curve you generate doing a continuous “click” trace against a rigid curved template versus clicking points along the curve. As far as editing “oops” moments it is important to really zoom in on the screen so you can see the error and how far to back up using undo. Then bring the stylus just beyond the last traced point and then click. This gives a good transistion from where you left off to where you continue tracing holding the button. I also found tracing my lead in and lead out gave great results. No little nub left behind.

This machine is awesome!

0 likes Like

Littleboss DWH

4d

@Bob DeWachter

So continuous trace was most accurate?

0 likes Like

Bob DeWachter

4d

The curves I traced were continuously variable. Perfect with constant trace, with 3/8" or 1/4" spacing of points you could see facets. Plus it is tedious to do that way on a fairly large part. With a well made, rigid template, it is the way to go.

1 likes Like

Bob DeWachter

4d

This is what I made. Tabletop display stand for a large bronze steam whistle. The three legs are 1/4" steel cut at 50"/min.

Whistle stand

Leg

2 Likes