Cutting Programs

Good morning, been using the arcdroid with tracing feature. I would like to use a software to create parts. The issue is that i am not a computer savvy.
My question is is there a program that you guys recommend for me to learn on that is easy to learn.
Thanks.

2 Likes

I jumped into Fusion 360 and figured it out, there are plenty of videos on YouTube to help you do basics with it, that helped me get going, I don’t know of something that’s easy, but will be following along to see the responses from others.

Happy Cutting !

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion, i have been playing a little bit with fusion. But it looks complicated to me to go from the design to download it to a usb stick to the Arcdroid.

1 Like

I use QCAD - 2D only so much easier to get going - very powerful does all I need and more

1 Like

Check out Onshape and Onshape Learning Center. they have a learning module system that goes through each step of the drawing process and supports gcode export.

1 Like

As a self-taught amateur CAD user who has switched CAD platforms a few times, I strongly believe that the tools are all basically the same. Pick one and learn it. Doesn’t really matter which one. I’ve picked Fusion360. There’s a free license for home-hobby users which is perfect for me. I can generate DXF’s or G-Code for the ArcDroid, and STL or STEP files for my 3D printer. Just make sure that whatever you pick can export the format’s you need.

The tough part is not so much learning the specific CAD tool, rather, it’s learning the ‘CAD Design Process’. A single evening watching the numerous helpful video’s out there will get you going with the basics and you should quickly be using CAD to design a flat part that you can export to a DXF file that can be cut by the ArcDroid. That’s the first milestone I would shoot for and that alone will be an upgrade in outcomes over just using simpletrace.

Hint, Etsy is full of DXF files that you can buy for a few bucks and download, then import into your CAD program, re-size and position, and make nifty things. I did this with my very first ArcDroid project to make a Leash Hanger for our Dog.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions and taking time to answer my question.

I second QCAD. All you need and nothing more.

Good morning group, so i decided keep practicing with Fusion because i had already been doing a little work with it. I keep looking for tutorial videos and found two that i keep watching. I was determined to get a g code to the Arcdroid. And after some self inflicted pain with a 32gb usb not working. I email Arcdroid to verify my g code was good. I got some 16 gb usb and finally was able to cut something from a g code created in Fusion 360.
Thanks to everyone who participated and Arcdroid staff for the quick response and willing to help👍

emphasized text

2 Likes

Just been trying Vetrics cut2D and I found it very powerful and easy to use, even over my beloved QCAD. The CAM side of Cut2D is a bit lacking for plasma but I use SheetCam to generate decent Gcode for lil’ old AD. The CAD side of cut2D is very good especially when it comes to TEXT and TEXT on a curve/circle etc

Is there a way to change readings from metric to US/imperial and should I ?? will the arc droid recognize it ??

1 Like

short answer is YES - but on what exactly are you referring to? QCAD? Arcdroid itself? Almost everything will use both units and AD is happy to use both too

1 Like

I use lightburn, but I’ve played around with QCAD and it seems by far much simpler to use

I had no idea I could use onshape with my arcdroid, I’ll look into that. that’s my goto 3D model design software. love the ability to use any device I want, wherever I am to make models. it will be great if I can make 2D paths as well.

1 Like