QCAD/CAM software?

Do I need QCAD or QCAD/CAM for use with the ArcDroid?

Second will the trial version work?

Got tired of making paper templates and not having lots of lucking making objects on the Droid screen so time to learn some software. I want something simple for 2D objects only.

There are a few CAD/CAM software out there that will work on the ArcDroid. It will become “simple” when you put the time into learning the software. I’m unfamiliar with QCAD, but I have used SheetCam and now use Fusion 360. The trial version on some is OK and has limits on what can be done. A word of “caution”. If you are not computer or software savvy, you will get frustrated much faster than making the templates. The beauty behind Arcdroid is the simple trace since you don’t need any external software. Yes, it has some limitations, but with practice, it can work.

Simple trace isn’t accurate enough for me. By the time I make a cardboard or masonite template I am just as well to have cut the part out by hand

I use QCAD/CAM for my drawing, and I find it easy to use. I started with the trial version and then upgrade to the full version but the trial version works fine.

1 Like

Thanks
So I do need the CAM software too?

You don’t have to have it. When you run the DXF file on the ArcDroid it will create a tool path for you. I like the CAM software because I have more control of the toolpath.

So your saying I can just use lightburn to draw a vector and save it as a DXF and when I put the file into the arcdroid it’ll turn it to a toolpath? I say lightburn just because I’m familiar with it for my lasers. I just ordered the arcdroid so I haven’t had the chance to play around yet. I also started screwing around with inkscape as well due to a local tech program for high schoolers use inkscape and It runs on a raspberry pi, which seems like a good way to avoid having to lug my PC out into the garage.

I don’t know anything about lightburn or inkscape but yes as long as the DXF is not too big the Arcdroid with work with it.

Awesome I can’t wait to play with it when it comes. and glad I should be able to software that i’m already halfway decent with. That side of things is always the worst but very rewarding.

So I’m coming back to tell everyone I can design my files in lightburn, I just do everything I normally would like I was using my laser engravers, when I’m done I click export, set it to dxf and save it to a USB drive. I put it in the arcdroid, and upload the dxf and the arcdroid takes care of building it into a tool path. It’s so cool, I hate spending weeks learning new software so I’m pumped it works like this. Plus lightburn has some unique functions that are amazing. I can take a picture of something and import it, then click trace, and it’ll trace around the object for me. Then I just pick a measurement such as between two bolt holes, and then I scale it up or down to the correct size and I’m done. has to be the handiest function ever.

3 Likes