Utilisation de HF plasma

I just watched this video which is 1 day old and it uses an HF plasma as I read and was even advised not to buy an HF device because it disturbs the arcdroid. Are there several types of HF? Thanks for coming back

It looks like he’s using a Harbor Freight Titanium plasma. It is Not high frequency start.

It’s actually a pretty good plasma cutter for the $$. We have one here ilat ArcDroid HQ.

1 Like

what is the power of your model and what is the maximum thickness in net size please? thank you
Gilles

Harbor Freight makes a 45 A and a 65A.

The 45 can do 12mm no problem quite cleanly the 65 would do 19 mm but you may need to predrill some of your pierce holes.

what power should be provided for 20mm super clean?
the problem in Europe 95% of the sources are HF.
it’s a huge problem to find a device without breaking the bank.
Thanks

I have two new questions. can the distance from the non-HF plasma source be the solution to avoid interference that disturbs the arcdroid? and second thing, could the choice of a non-HF cnc torch be an additional improvement? I am discouraged to find a powerful non-HF source at a good price.

Andrew, since the Arcdroid is somewhat designed for the beginner/hobbyist and these Titanium plasma cutters are easily purchased in the US about anywhere, would it be possible for you to create some base settings for those on standard materials s hobbyist would cut?

Those units have very little documentation and online there isn’t really much for settings available.

@Geantvert I would look at a 125A for doing a bunch of 20mm. And something with a duty cycle where you can cut for an extended length of time.
Your not going to shield a HF machine. Just not in the cards…… torch is a helluva antenna regardless of where the power supply is.

1 Like

thank you for the return, I will look at a Sherman 130 cnc, it is one of the only non-HF of this power

@Outback It’s pretty hard to suggest settings. Your really better off just cutting some steel and tweaking things and pay attention to the results. Make a bunch of washers, can always use them!
Try different amps, air, cut speed and cut height. See what works, what doesn’t, slag result etc. Take notes, matched to samples. You’ll learn the effect of settings. You’ll quickly see what works on 1/4” steel. Put that on the master cheat card. Try with different thickness material. It really doesn’t take long to pony up a list of settings that YOU get good results with.
Look for establishing minimum power and air and fastest cut speeds. Your consumables will thank you and your supply will run cooler. I think most people tend to run too hot and too slow. Cut height affects cut edge profile and consumable life. Play with it.
Mess with pierce settings and length of lead in. Don’t be afraid to tweak things. Compare results and jot things down. Devote a few hours and you’ll be a pro at getting predictable results. Better yet you’ll have a fantastic ability to take an educated guess at something you’ve never cut before and most likely will be happy with the first run.
It just takes practice. Keep it simple and small and burn up some material.

2 Likes