Why Droids are Awesome

For me this was a Huge selling point for Arcdroid. The ease at which you have a capable, CNC plasma cutter packed for a road trip.
This is the full setup, minus 220v cord, 110v ext, and an airline. If I dug out the shoulder strap for the Hypertherm you could tote it all in one trip.
The arm is secured and nothing moves around. Mag base power supply, controls, droid panel are all in a high tech shoebox.
Stay tuned as to where I set up in the morning!

3 Likes

Ohh… this I want to see. Then I want to see a legit packing crate system for the 'Droid.

1 Like

@BobD dude thats so freaking sick. I cant wait to see some awesome projects​:fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

@Jim @jsjlegoman I’ve been heavily involved for a number of years restoring a large steam locomotive to operation. New England Steam Corp. (nonprofit) purchased the last steam locomotive to be run by Maine Central RR. It was retired in 1954. Has sat outside since 1963…….
So….2022 Plasma Tech meets 1924 Steam Tech!!!
I brought my kit to the steam shop in Ellsworth ME today and put it to work. Your looking in on the goings on for rebuilding MEC470.

First time using the magnetic base I built for the droid. Super solid on a piece of 1/2” steel plate
Was also the first time using the Droid cutting this thick. It did a good job. A bit of a struggle piercing and hard on the tip. Cut itself was awesome.
The task was a plate to fit four of the 1-1/8” studs on the steam dome of the boiler so a davit can be mounted to lift the bronze steam throttle valve out. Also a bunch of 1/2” thick washers for the studs.
About 3 minutes to cut, washers about 40 secs at 18in/min.

5 Likes

Awesome job thats so freaking cool to see.

1 Like

You are going to make @Andrew cry a little bit. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Just to be clear, the big arc cut in the front wall of the loco cab was a bit of a stretch for the Droid. That was done low tech with a tight wire on a pivot by hand. I’ve been rebuilding the cab with all new steel from the roof down. All assembled with 3/8” hot rivets!

3 Likes

My first 1/2" cut was perfect! Then it took me forever to figure out why I couldn’t repeat it.

Turns out my swirl ring was upside down after a tip change.

2 Likes

That’s some super coolness there!

Thank you for sharing

1 Like