Problem maintaining cut

Issue I’m having, mostly since I got this machine a while ago, got frustrated and quit trying. Need to use it again and still the same issue… while cutting 1/4” plate the cut stops full depth and then will randomly cut all the way through again. It’ll usually pierce and cut a bit then won’t keep the cut going. I recalibrated Z height multiple times and the cut height still seems way off… new firmware and simple trace loaded before this cut… I’ve had to narrow down the cut height to .02” and it still seems way high…

Primeweld cut60 at 50amps, 60psi, new consumables.

First primeweld may be your biggest issue check the approved plasma list Second check to make sure you have a good ground to the part not the table, third I try to cut as close to the metal as possible forth use your three point THC that helps a lot, last I would make double sure you have clean dry air check the gauge while cutting to make sure your air pressure is not droping while you cut I used a older hose one time that restricted the air to the plasma took forever to figure that one out, if all else falls move the plasma as far away from the Droid as possibly even putting a piece of plywood in-between may help last but not least get ahold of arcdroid they have the best customer service par none. Good luck and let everyone know what the problem was and how you fixed it thanks

Checked all the things, releveled droid to plate, was way more careful with using auto level ON my work piece and slowed the feed rate down to 40ipm. It’s better but still skipping a few spots

Seems like a cutter problem not the arcdroid. I cut ¼” at 40amps 1000mm/m, pierce at 5mm cut at 1.6mm and it’s as clean as a whistle. Are you using the recommended settings for the machine?

1 Like

The machine says 45 amps 60 psi at 47.25ipm. After some more careful analysis I figured out the torch carriage was not traveling all the way down and was binding up. I got that fixed now and it will cut the correct height and is a pretty clean cut but I have to have the cut height at .004” or the kerf is horrendous. That seems low but it’s a clean cut.

Feed is close to your 1000mm… which is close to 39ipm. My feed is now 38ipm, pierce .187 and cut .004” so that’s pretty close to yours… guess I’m glad it’s not too far off your findings.

I was just cutting 1/4" plate last night with my Droid and PrimeWeld Cut 60 and cut was nearly flawless, so without a doubt it’s possible. I think you’re on the right track that you are having a Z height issue. I would suggest getting some dry graphite powder and lubricating the two shafts and bearings that the Z head runs on. Binding here was my biggest hurdle to overcome. Definitely do not use any wet lubricants as the dust from cutting will turn into a sticky abrasive paste.

You can also relieve the tension on the Z head and check the little momentary button that tells the Droid that Z has touched off. This is located at the back of the machine where the Z cable enters the machine. Definitely blow this out to make sure it’s not packed with dust/debris. I can get pics of this later if you want.

My Z cut height is around 0.060" and that works really well. So get some dry lube on the shafts and double check that the Droid is going to the right Z by turning off the plasma and dry running the program.

Thanks for your reply. Are you running the hand torch or machine torch? What amps and psi work best for you?

No worries, you’re welcome… I know there’s some pushback from certain elements around here about using the Cut60, but it has been working pretty good for me for a while now.

I’m running the hand torch still. One thing I do remember is that the ceramic heat shield of the Cut60 torch does not clamp very well in the factory ArcDroid torch mount and I made a set of custom clamps to make sure the cutting torch is nice and square. I can send pics of this later if you want.

But as far as speeds/feeds:

45 ipm
45 amps
65-70 psi
.150" pierce Z
.060" cut Z
1.2 pierce delay

I noticed that you have pierce Z at .250" and through my experimentation, I did not get good results with this. So you may want to double check that. Like shown above, .150" seems to be the sweet spot for my setup.

One thing I have had trouble with on the Cut60 is the arc not starting immediately when the arc is called by the Droid. I know this is a Cut60 issue and not a ArcDroid issue because it does the same thing if you manually squeeze the trigger on the hand torch. I have not solved this 100% but taking the consumables apart and blowing them out thoroughly seems to help. If this does happen and the Droid starts to cut, you get so much blowback that it will ruin a set of consumables almost immediately.

I think your consumables need to be changed. The torch rotates relative to the work piece because of the arm swinging and this changes which side of the torch is leading the cut. In your picture there is almost a straight line across the work piece where the cut stops working and when I have experienced this there is some debris plugging one side of the tip.

1 Like

Sorry to jump in here on your guys’s conversation but I have put up a post and I have sent multiple emails with no reply and it’s costing me money like normal with the down time. Any idea what the all low error code could be? And I can’t raise or lower my torch head manually with the knob so I would figure it has something to do with that

Hey Chris

Responded to your email. Give us a call when you can we can sort you out!
705-828-0470