Random whether the machine cuts or not

I experience bigger and bigger problems with jobs where there is more than one cut in a part. I’m pretty sure it’s due to my Everlast Powerplasma 52i and not the Arcdroid
The first cut always starts fine but the rest of the cuts are completely random whether they cut or not and another symptom is that postgas is just as random as to whether it switches off at a set time or does not.
It is absolutely certain that our large compressor supplies sufficient air. It makes no difference what changes I make to the Arcdroid in terms of Pierce Z, Cut Z, PRC Delay or anything. I have tried connecting via CNC port and also bypass of handle, no difference.
Has anyone else had similar experiences???

Of course, I have tried with fresh consumables and always cut with a good ground connection

Maybe try this. Leave the Droid out of the equation. Using your hand torch and a piece of scrap metal, have at it making cuts like the Droid might. See if you can make successive stop starts by hand at will. Will the torch restart during post flow or immediately after stopping? If you can do this by hand it pretty much eliminates a plasma problem.

1 Like

@Thorped I had a similar experience, seemed random, the fix for my issue was lowering the torch in the sled clamp, so the Z axis was not at low point limit when trying to cut…

I am using a Miller Spectrum 625 and their machine torch… Since adjusting my torch position lower in the sled, no troubles

I hope this helps !

Mike

2 Likes

It seems to work better with manual cut except it occasionally has the issue of postgas not turning off at set time so I suspect an air valve issue.

Thanks for your input, but I run it with a very tight z-axis spring already and unfortunately that hasn’t helped. And it positions itself correctly in z, it’s just completely random whether it cuts or not.

1 Like

@Thorped

Double check the Air solenoid inside your plasma machine. if this is sticking it won’t do a proper quick on/off cycle it needs to do in order to reinitialize the arc. And since you post flow is dragging on its highly likely the solenoid is sticking

We actually had this issue with one of the Everlast machines we used for development so I suspect you are having the same

Cheers
AM

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew
I’ll have to get hold of Everlast and see if they can help with a new part.

Cheers
Thorkil

@Andrew Did you find out if it was the solenoid itself or the signal to the solenoid that was the problem and did you solve it

Cheers
Thorkil

In my case it was a sticky solenoid. Cleaned and lubed it and problem went away

1 Like

The solenoid has been lubricated and everything seems to work as it should :smile:

2 Likes

I had the same problem with my 52i when trying to cut script with many starts and stops close together. I haven’t looked at my air solenoid yet (but it’s probably part of the problem) I found the 10sec post flow was causing issues as the cuts were stopping and starting in under 10 sec so it would strike part way into the cut. I had to slow my Z speed down and lift the hight between cuts right up just to kill time between cuts for the post flow to finish

@Shocky That’s what pierce delay is for. After the trigger, air has to drain the line before it can strike an arc again. My PT80 torch is the slowest. Lowest I can have is 1.3sec delay. Pt60 torch is quicker.

1 Like