Recent Completed Project

I am heavily involved with the restoration to operation of a large
b7vg1fb

mainline steam locomotive that was built in 1924.
I did this project, a whistle display stand, on the Arcdroid. This was a traced input for the three legs. The whistle is of brand new construction and is displayed at various shows that we attend.

This is really cool Bob. Great pic with the welding curtain wrapped around the small cart!

Thanks @Jim. The welding curtain worked pretty well containing the mess and shielding the sparks. The exhaust blower worked fair as the enclosure wasn’t very air tight. Had no issues with the curtain imbedding with hot metal.
But improvements were made. Not a fan of water tables. They are messy, cause rust, pain to clean, blow water around etc. I use one with a trough for my homemade powered straight line plasma cutter but it only has maybe two quarts of water.
So I built an aluminum undertable plenum. Has multiple deflectors to catch particles and extend the air path to allow cool down of the slag. Top louvered grate catches drops. Plenum is attached to the two outer table slats and hangs in the table. I don’t think any particles get to the blower. Clean up with a shop vac. All the deflectors are removeable. A real bonus is how well the air is pulled evenly across the work surface. Not seeing any smoke. I toss the vent hose out the door when cutting.
The arm for my control panel is above the table surface and mounted behind the front edge of the droid. Nice working height and not in shot of slag or interfering with material placement.
I’m considering making a 12” high “shower curtain” from the welding curtain for the upper table surface. Would contain piercing slag and shield the arc.

1 Like

A few more pics

1 Like

Very nice. I kept thinking I wanted to add a water table but was hesitant. You have convinced me to stick with the down draft approach.

I have an existing “vent booth” where I stand in front of it for painting, grinding, sanding, etc. What I have in mind is to add a port for the flexible metal pipe from the plenum to the “vent booth” and be able to open/close where the vent fan draws air.

Here you can see the vent where I can add a port for the plasma down draft pipe

@Jim I improved the pics of my post. Another thought on a downdraft is a cyclonic separator in the vacuum system.